<$BlogRSDURL$>

13 September 2006
Reflections
 

Hello, and once again my apologies to all as I have not updated this blog for a terribly long time, kind of. Yea... I'm just not in the mood to do so, and I did not receive much inspiration to write too. And this is bad. My writing skills have deproved a lot. My English composition (today's assignment) was written horrendously and it sounds as if a Primary kid has written it. My Malay's even worse. I cannot believe I have forgotten/do not know a lot of words.

Let's see. Quite a lot has happened this past 2 to 3 weeks. We had school during the 3rd term holidays (so much of calling it a "holiday") and yea. Hung out more with a couple of friends too. I don't usually do that, I'm not the kind of person you see outside my house. And, it's kind of fun too.

And these past few days, I daydreamt a lot. Seriously, it's distracting. You can be talking to me and all of a sudden, you see me nodding and smiling to myself at something. I've been thinking a lot about myself though, I really have no idea why. And no, I'm not going to post my thoughts here, it's very private, and it can be unbelievably long when put on writing.

Man, I can't believe the End-of-Year exams are coming up real soon, and in about 3 weeks time, everyone will be gruelling over the elite papers. And next year is going to be a tough year for us. More stress piling up. Not sure whether I can handle them all or not.

I will be kind of busy too this coming week. There's Teachers' Day to prepare and also some other councillors' stuff to do. Not to mention juggling the textbooks on a unicycle. Okay, I seriously watched too much cartoon to have such an overactive imagination! Either that, or I'm getting lame.

Pardon me if this post sounds kind of draggy and negative in some parts. I'm really too tired to do a proper blogging. I definitely need more sleep, a lot more than most people.

I shall blog soon when I am up for it and not too tired to do so. Sorry to disappoint with a rather "puny" post though, but no worries, I will blog maybe a lot more in the upcoming holidays. Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone in your exams. (I thank the taggers too for keeping this site active).

P.S. I'm worrying about something that is COMPLETELY irrational, but I don't know what!


Oh, before I leave, here is a Fwd: mail I received from Luisa Jie Jie. Thanks! Keep on sending okay =), they're really cool! This one's targetted especially to the ladies (it's about ovarian cancer...):


SIGNS OF OVARIAN CANCER

THIS IS A MUST TO READ TO THE END. P L E A S E!
(Guys: pass it on to your lady).

An Eye Opener on Ovarian Cancer.

I hope you all take the time to read this and pass it on to all you
can..
Send this to the women in your life that you care about.

Years ago, Gilda Radner died of ovarian cancer. Her symptoms were
inconclusive, and she was treated for everything under the sun until it
was
too late. This blood test finally identified her illness but alas, too
late. She wrote a book to heighten awareness. Gene Wilder is her
widower

KATHY'S STORY: this is the story of Kathy West

I have Primary Peritoneal Cancer. This cancer has only recently been
identified as its OWN type of cancer, but it is essentially Ovarian
Cancer.

Both types of cancer are diagnosed in the same way, with the "tumor
marker"
CA-125 BLOOD TEST, and they are treated in the same way - surgery to
remove
the primary tumor and then chemotherapy with Taxol and Carboplatin.

Having gone through this ordeal, I want to save others from the same
fate.
That is why I am sending this message to you and hope you will print i
t
and give it or send it via E-mail to everybody you know

One thing I have learned is that each of us must take TOTAL
responsibility
for our own health care. I thought I had done that because I always had
an
annual physical and PAP smear, did a monthly Self-Breast Exam, went to
the
dentist at least twice a year, etc. I even insisted on a sigmoidoscopy
and
a bone density test last year. When I had a total hysterectomy in 1993,
I
thought that I did not have to worry about getting any of the female
reproductive organ cancers.

LITTLE DID I KNOW.

I don't have ovaries (and they were HEALTHY when they were removed),
but I
have what is essentially ovarian cancer Strange, isn't it?

These are just SOME of the things our Doctors never tell us: ONE out
of
every 55 women will get OVARIAN or PRIMARY PERITONEAL CANCER.

The "CLASSIC" symptoms are an ABDOMEN that rather SUDDENLY ENLARGES
and
CONSTIPATION and/or DIARRHEA.

I had these classic symptoms and went to the doctor. Because these
symptoms
seemed to be "abdominal", I went to a gastroenterologist. He ran tests
that
were designed to determine whether there was a bacteria infection;
these
tests were negative, and I was diagnosed with "Irritable Bowel
Syndrome". I
guess I would have accepted this diagnosis had it not been for my
enlarged
abdomen. I swear to you, it looked like I was 4-5 months pregnant! I
therefore insisted on more tests.< /FONT>

They took an X-ray of my abdomen; it was negative. I was again assured
that
I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and was encouraged to go on my
scheduled
month-long trip to Europe. I couldn't wear any of my slacks or shorts
because I couldn't get them buttoned, and I KNEW something was
radically
wrong. I INSISTED on more tests, and they reluctantly) scheduled me for
a
CT-Scan (just to shut me up, I think). This is what I mean by "taking
charge of our own health care."

The CT-Scan showed a lot of fluid in my abdomen (NOT normal ). Needless
to
say, I had to cancel my trip and have FIVE POUNDS assure you), but
NOTHING
compared to what was ahead of me).

Tests revealed cancer cells in the fluid. Finally, finally, finally,
the
doctor ran a CA-125 blood test, and I was properly diagnosed.

I HAD THE CLASSIC SYMPTOMS FOR OVARIAN CANCER, AND YET THIS SIMPLE
CA-125
BLOOD TEST HAD NEVER BEEN RUN ON ME, not as part of my annual physical
exam
and not when I was symptomatic. This Is an inexpensive and simple
blood
test!

PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR FEMALE FRIENDS AND RELATIVES TO INSIST ON
A
CA-125 BLOOD TEST EVERY YEAR AS PART OF THEIR ANNUAL PHYSICAL EXAMS.

Be forewarned that their doctors might try to talk them out of it,
saying,
IT ISN'T NECESSARY." Believe m e, had I known then what I know now, we
would have caught my cancer much earlier (before it was a stage
3 cancer). Insist on the CA-125 BLOOD TEST; DO NOT take "NO" for an
answer!

The normal range for a CA-125 BLOOD TEST is between zero and 35. MINE
WAS
754. (That's right, 754!). If the number is slightly above 35, you can
have
another done in three or six months and keep a close eye on it, just a
s
women do when they have fibroid tumors or when men have a slightly
elevated
PSA test (Prostatic Specific Antigens) that helps diagnose prostate
cancer.

Having the CA-125 test done annually can alert you early, and that's
the
goal in diagnosing any type of cancer - catching it early.

Do you know 55 women? If so, at least one of them will have this VERY
AGGRESSIVE canc er. Please, go to your doctor and insist on a CA-125
test
and have one EVERY YEAR for the rest of your life.

And forward this message to every woman you know, and tell all of your
female family members and friends. Though the median age for this
cancer is
56, (and, guess what, I'm exactly 56), women as young as 22 have it Age
is
no factor


A NOTE FROM THE RN:

Well, after reading this, I made some calls. I found that the CA-125
test
is an ovarian screening test equivalent to a man's P SA test prostate
screen (which my husband's doctor automatically gives him in his
physical
each year and insurance pays for it). I called the general
practitioner's
office about having the test done. The nurse had never heard of it.
She
told me that she doubted that insurance would pay for it. So I called
Prudential Insurance Co., and got the same response. Never heard of it
- it
won't be covered.

I explained that it was the same as the PSA test they had paid for my
husband for years. After conferring with whomever they confer with,
she
told me that the CA-125 would be covered.

It is $75 in a GP's office and $125 at the GYN's. This is a screening
test
that should be required just like a PAP smear (a PAP smear cannot
detect
problems with your ovaries). And you must insist that your insurance
company pay for it.

Gene Wilder and Pierce Brosnan (his wife had it, too) are lobbying for
women's health issues, saying that this test should be required in our
physicals, just like the PAP and the mammogram

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO SEND THIS OUT TO ALL THOSE YOU CAN. BE IT MALE
OR
FEMALE, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER, AS THEY CAN FORWARD IT ALSO TO THOSE
LOVED
ONES THEY KNOW.


freshrimp put thoughts into writing at 18:14.
Comments? Whisper 'em! (2 whispered.)

Comments by them:-

Its ok shimmy we know how you feel. Dont worry so much, talk to someone about it, even if you dont want to. It helps. Good luck.

Blogger Steven whispered at 17 September, 2006 21:03.  

Er...the problem is, I don't really know what I was worrying about at that time! It was just a feeling that I suddenly had =P. I'm back to normal now! =D

Blogger freshrimp whispered at 18 September, 2006 18:07.  



<-- Return to main blog